SMTP authentication is required, Error Number: 0x800CCC79
Cause of the Issue
0x800CCC79 appears in Microsoft Outlook Express when you try to send e-mail. The outgoing SMTP server denies to accept the e-mail without authentication prior sending an e-mail. The sample of the error is pasted below which can vary.
The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’. Subject ‘Re: Test’, Account: ‘mail.domain.com’, Server: ‘mail.domain.com’, Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: ‘530 SMTP authentication is required.’, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 530, Error Number: 0x800CCC79
Troubleshooting the Issue
For Outlook Express
- In Outlook Express go to “Tools” and then click on “Accounts…”
- Select the account for which you are getting error while sending mail from
- Click “Properties” button
- Click “Servers” tab
- Select “My server requires authentication” under “Outgoing Mail Server” section
- Click “Settings” button
- If your SMTP login credentials are same as the incoming server then choose “Use same settings as my incoming mail server” otherwise choose “Log on using” and provide SMTP server credential.
- Click “OK” again click “OK” and then click “Close”