Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance operates on the subledger concepts for Vendors, Customers, Items, Fixed assets etc. In Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance, the posting profiles establish integration between subledger and General ledger. There are different posting profiles like
- Vendor posting profiles
- Customer posting profiles
- Fixed asset posting profiles
- Item posting profiles
Posting profile supports Account code validation like Table, Group and All.
While sub-ledger concepts is a good one but the process of reconciliation between sub-ledger and General ledger is a tedious task, particularly in cases where the accounts configured in posting profiles are also used in General journal entries for posting Journal voucher and also if the same account is configured in some other posting profiles also.
Do not allow manual entry
Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance provides a check box called “Do not allow manual entry” on the Main account page, which makes sure that no manual entries from a source like General journal, Invoice journal, Free text invoices etc. are posted.
Following error thrown when the main account having “Do not allow manual entry” checkbox selected for the purpose of manual entry in General journal, Invoice journal etc.
Value 200110 is not allowed for manual entry. Enter another value.
Though “Do not allow manual entry” restricts manual postings to the account but this will not restrict entries coming from different subledger posting profiles e.g. if Main account 200110 is configured in Vendor posting profile and the same account is configured in Customer/Item posting profile.
Posting type validation
If you want to configure the Main account for some specific posting types e.g. for Vendor postings, then we can do so by configuring Posting type validation. I have listed the steps to configure posting type validation:
Configure Posting type validation
- Navigate to General ledger >> Chart of accounts >> Accounts >> Main accounts
- Filter the main account code for which you want to configure posting type validation e.g. 200110.
- Go to the Posting type validation fasttab
- Select Specify multiple valid options in Posting type validation field.
- Click Posting validation button to open Validate posting types form.
- Add all the valid posting types you want to allow in Validate posting types form. In our example, we just have to add Vendor balance to allow posting only from Vendor subledger. For some posting profiles like Inventory, you might have to add multiple posting types here.
Posting type validation in action
- Configure main account 200110 with Customer posting profile.
- Try to Free text invoice from the Accounts receivable module. Microsoft Dynamics 365 Finance will throw the following error.
The posting type for account 200110 is not valid.
Because 200110 only accept postings from Posting type Vendor balance, even if you accidentally configure somewhere else Microsoft Dynamics 365 Finance will not allow posting the entries from that subledger or ledger.
Posting type validation makes finance person’s life easier in terms of reconciliation between the ledger and General ledger.
Video guide for Posting type validations
Please share your thoughts and suggestions in the comment section.